[Pythonmac-SIG] does pkg_resources think that "macosx-10.3" is incompatible with 10.5?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Nov 21 20:59:59 CET 2007

On 20 Nov, 2007, at 20:53, zooko wrote:

> Folks:
>
> It appears that eggs built on Mac OS 10.4 are produced with filenames
> containing "macosx-10.3", like this:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.5/s/simplejson/simplejson-1.7.3-
> py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg
>
> but that if you try to easy_install such a package on Mac OS 10.5, it
> will deem that egg to be incompatible with the current platform and
> will instead try to install from a source tarball if it can find
> one.  (On the other hand if you install that egg on Mac OS 10.4, it
> will work.)
>

> PJE reports that the platform versioning code for OS X was
> contributed by someone other than he to pkg_resources, and that he
> doesn't know how it works, except that it reads /usr/bin/sw_vers.
>

> Does anyone know if there is a good reason for Python running on 10.5
> to reject binaries built on 10.4, and if not what would be required
> to make this version check pass?

This seems to be caused by distutils.util.get_platform() returning the
wrong value (macosx-10.5-i386 instead of macosx-10.5-fat).  This is
caused by what seems to be a rather dumb bug in that function:

|		if (release + '.') < '10.4.' and \
|                    	get_config_vars().get('UNIVERSALSDK', '').strip():
|                        # The universal build will build fat
binaries, but not on
|            	         # systems before 10.4
|                        machine = 'fat'

The first part of the test seems wrong to me and causes machine not to
be set to 'fat' on 10.5.

Ronald