[Pythonmac-SIG] Any hints on building libpng universal?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Nov 23 04:58:56 CET 2007

Hi again,

I'm trying to build a universal libpng package at the moment  for use
with matplotlib from pythonmac.org/packages. There's an older version
up on undefined.org that's referred to in some mailing list postings
but there've been some major security holes fixed since then, so I've
been trying to automate the process of building a

gcc complains about the '-M' flag being used with multiple -arch
flags, and so I've compiled twice and am stitching them together with
lipo. One thing I'm not sure about is the "libpng12.la" file, which I
can't seem to combine. I've never been totally clear on the difference
between .a and .la archives, but there does seem to be one.

Any hints? I will of course post the build script and an URL for the
package once I'm sure it works.

David