[Pythonmac-SIG] Fw: Re: Any hints on building libpng universal?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 28 01:34:07 CET 2007

David Warde-Farley wrote:
> Chris Barker brought it to my attention that packages that go bup on
> Pythonmac.org should have their own static copies of (non system?)
> dependencies.

That's right. I think libpng and libfreetype are the ones required at
this point.

>  The current matplotlib package expects libpng in
> /usr/local/lib.

is it dependent on the freetype in Apple's X11? I have a build installed
  that is, though I'm not totally sure where I got it.

Didn't Russell Owen point you to directions? Here they are again:

http://www.astro.washington.edu/rowen/BuildingMatplotlibForMac.html

The only problem with those is that it required deleting the dylib, but
if you have other apps that depend on it, you won't want to do that. At
some point, I has set up my system with a "StaticLibs Dir" in the MPL
source, and edited the setup.py to find stuff there. Should I dig this
up and contribute it?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov