[Pythonmac-SIG] entire applications in python?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Oct 3 16:37:36 CEST 2007

Brett Calcott wrote:

> A few questions (but any hints would be good)
>
> Do any of the experienced mac developers out there recommend doing
> everything in python? Or should I dabble with objective-c applications
> first?

You can do pretty much anything you want in Python--nearly all of the
major toolkits (Cocoa/Objc, wxPython, Tk, PyQt) are natively supported
on the Mac. I develop a commercial application in Python/Tk-Aqua. See
http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/MacSoftwareUsingPython for a
partial list of Python apps on the Mac.

> I've seen the pyobjc examples, but are the people out there writing
> complete applications just using python? Are there any open source
> examples?

RestEdit is open-source; Google for its current location.

> Is there "the book" for learning the basics of the mac system?
> Likewise, is there a book on objective-c for experienced programmers?

Aaron Hillegass's book on Cocoa programming is highly recommended.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin