[Pythonmac-SIG] python program in menu bar

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Fri Oct 5 21:53:03 CEST 2007

scott herzinger <scotthz at yahoo.com> writes:

> This document
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/HID/intro/chapter_1_section_1.html#/
> /apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000970-CH202-DontLinkElementID_10
>
> is a guide to working with HID devices. It provides some sample code
> for accessing and controlling HID devices. An OOC is an "on/off
> control".
>
> The following might also be a useful guide:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/AccessingHardware/index.html#/
> /apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000376

Thanks again for those pointers!  I looked through them but didn't find
anything about OOCs.  And a search of the apple developer connection
website for "on/off control" only turns up hits about power buttons.
I did find two links that might be relevant.  This first says there is
an "ADB/USB shim [that] allows applications to set the caps lock LED on
the Apple USB keyboard", but I'm not sure if this will be helpful:

  http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMac_G4_16Feb00/G4Rev3-43.html

The second mentions kHIDUsage_KeyboardLockingCapsLock:

  http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/GLCarbonAGLFullScreen/listing12.html

Unfortunately, given that I've never programmed in Objective C before,
this is probably getting beyond what I have time to figure out myself.
I may try asking on another list to see if someone can point to explicit
code that already does what I want.

I appreciate everything that people on this list have done!

Dan