[Pythonmac-SIG] Strange failure on 'python setup.py build' after 10.4.10 update

cygnusxlist at mac.com cygnusxlist at mac.com
Sat Sep 1 04:42:57 CEST 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Edward Hartley wrote:

>> From: cygnusxlist at mac.com
>> Date: 30 August 2007 23:26:46 BDT
>> To: pythonmac-sig at python.org
>> Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] Strange failure on 'python setup.py
>> build' after 10.4.10 update
>>

>> My G5 at work has started spitting out this message when I try to
>> build a python package from source.  The previous week I completed
>> many builds with no problem.  I did similar builds on my home
>> system with no problem.
>>
>> The major change at work was I finally installed the 10.4.10
>> update (and suddenly had to change my $PATH to get python 2.4
>> back!) and my home system is still at 10.4.9.
>>
> I would check that the default python is in fact 2.4 or whatever
> version you think it should be and not an earlier version.
> You may have had an Apple build of python included in this update.
> This would overwrite any symbolic links to the 2.4 install you made
> after the original OS install.
> Which would explain why you had to change the $PATH
> Certainly  doing  a full install of XCode will cause the default
> python to revert to 2.3

Deleting MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET enabled me to run the builds.  I
notice my laptop does not have that defined at all.

The problem machine is a clean install so there were no older pythons
installed.

I had rarely set the PATH after installing the main MacPython package
it would always use the new version.  Of course, if that was working
due to a link, it would certainly explain the behavior I encountered.

Thanks,
Tom