[Pythonmac-SIG] Macports and Django install problems

Dave Everitt deveritt at innotts.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 12:30:11 CEST 2007

After reading about other OS X user's Django install problems, I'm
attempting to write up the simplest, clearest possible, completely
unambiguous, instructions for other OS X users here:
http:ecoconsulting.co.uk/python/django-install.txt
but obviously I need to get it right first, and...

...I've hit problems with Macports, detailed below. But I can't find
anywhere how to install Django from within Python (like Perl's CPAN),
and Macports is actually suggested on the Django site.

-----------------
The steps I took:

1.
Install Python 2.5 from the OS X binary at:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1-macosx.dmg

End up with the following - good so far:
python -V:Python 2.5.1
which python:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/
bin/python

The OS X package appears to have replaced Apple's Python 2.3 with
2.5.1 successfully.

2.
Use Macports to install Django 0.96:
sudo port install py25-django-devel

Add the Macports path to my .bash_login (and remove .profile):
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

End up with the following:
django-admin.py gives: (the expected screen of stuff)
but
 >>> import django gives: ImportError: No module named django.

------------
The problem:

While installing Django, the Macports dependency thing also installs
Python 2.5 under /opt/local/lib/python2.5/

I know OS X needs Python elswhere (and I now appear to have 2
Pythons) but the running one doesn't have Django in its 'site-
packages' dir.

Looks like I might have to forget Macports and install Django
manually under the OS X Python (or copy it across), but will this
risk being mangled by OS X updates? And is there an easy Python
'install django' command?

About Macports:

Macports is a good idea (easy installs and updates, preserves Apple
stuff, keeps new stuff separate from getting mashed by Apple updates)
but the Python it installs isn't in the place OS X expects it to be,
so can't be used easily. The Django site itself suggests Macports,
but fails to say that the install won't be where the OS X Python
expects it to be.

Dave Everitt