[Pythonmac-SIG] eliminating appscript-triggered Dock icon (was: Re: Sending files to the trash)

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Apr 1 14:19:08 CEST 2008

On 29 Mar 2008, at 09:11, Alex MacCaw wrote:

> Thanks - that works.
> I'm wondering how to get rid of the python rocket ship that appears
> in the dock when I start sending applescript events. I've tried
> deleting the object reference to app('Finder') but to no avail.

The command line python interpreter automatically upgrades to a full
GUI process whenever OS APIs linked to the Window Manager are called.
In appscript's case, it uses the Carbon Process Manager to launch
applications and obtain their process IDs.

This behaviour is useful when running scripts that need to display
dialogs, etc. to users, but it's a nuisance the rest of the time and
is something I'd like to get rid of if possible. I'm stuffed for spare
time at the moment, but if anyone else fancies rewriting the relevant
code then do let me know.

Cheers,

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net