[Pythonmac-SIG] Help getting started with py-appscript

Dewey V. Schorre dvschorre at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 4 21:35:31 CEST 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 4:45 AM, has wrote:

> Dewey V. Schorre wrote:
>
>> I began by installing py-appscript like this:
>>
>> 	macpro-administrators-computer:~ val$ sudo easy_install appscript
>> 	. . .
>> 	Finished processing dependencies for appscript
>> 	macpro-administrators-computer:~ val$
>>
>> I thought that had worked, so I began the tutorial like this:
>>
>> 	macpro-administrators-computer:~ val$ python
>> 	. . .
>> 	>>> from appscript import *
>> 	Traceback (most recent call last):
>> 	File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>> 	ImportError: No module named appscript
>> 	>>>
>>
>> Why did it say "No module named appscript"? How can I get this to
>> work?
>

> Do you have more than one copy of Python installed? If so, make sure
> that you've installed setuptools for the Python interpreter you're
> currently using.
>
> e.g. Leopard ships with Python 2.5.1 a copy of easy_install at /usr/
> bin, but if you use a different Python installation then then you'll
> need to install setuptools for that yourself as the existing
> easy_install only works for Apple's Python.
>
> HTH
>
> has
> --

My only copy of Python is MacPython 2.5 in my application folder.

I find the following file:

	/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/appscript-0.18.1-py2.5-macosx-10.5-
i386.egg

Using IDLE to run Python, I am able to import files that are in my
documents folder and end with .py.

I would think that I need a file named appscript.py in my documents
folder, but the easy_install of appscript did not create a file with
that name.

I don't understand what an .egg file is.

I appreciate your help.

Val