[Pythonmac-SIG] Help getting started with py-appscript

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Apr 5 15:28:46 CEST 2008

Dewey V. Schorre wrote:

> My only copy of Python is MacPython 2.5 in my application folder.

That's just the GUI utilities that come with the third-party Python
2.5 distribution from python.org; the Python framework itself, which
includes its command line tools, is installed under /Library/Frameworks.

There's also a copy of Python 2.5 included in Leopard as standard, so
you actually have two Python 2.5 installations on your machine.

> I find the following file:
>
> 	/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/appscript-0.18.1-py2.5-
> macosx-10.5-i386.egg

Yep, this is where Apple's Python keeps third-party modules (the
framework itself is under /System so it doesn't get fiddled with).
Setuptools and easy_install are included with Leopard's Python, but
aren't included in the third-party distributions so must be installed
separately for those. You have two options:

1. Uninstall your own Python 2.5 installation and use Apple's
(slightly older) version.

2. Install setuptools for your third-party Python:

	http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

> I don't understand what an .egg file is.

It's the module packaging format used by setuptools.

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net