[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL for OS-X

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Apr 10 22:43:46 CEST 2008

> > cd libpng-*
>
> The PIL docs state that you need libz for png support, but not libpng
> itself -- are those docs out of date?

I'm not sure.  But I build it anyway for Ghostscript.

> > setenv CPPFLAGS "-I${distdir}/include"
> > setenv LDFLAGS "-L${distdir}/lib"
> > setenv CXXFLAGS "-I${distdir}/include"
>
> I thought this overrode the Makefile values -- or does it add to them?
> I'd like to add " -arch PPP -arch Intel" to CFLAGS, but don't want to
> override the other flags there...

My understanding is that it adds to them for some flags, overrides for
others.  I use this mainly for "configure" scripts -- not sure what
the behavior of setup.py is.

> > cd ../jbig2dec*
>
> What's this?

It's a decoder for JBIG2 image compression.

> > # Macs may not have X11, so make sure not to link it in by accident
>
> What is the status of this? I was wondering if I could use Apple's
> freetype...

On Leopard, yes.  I've been using this since 10.3; some of it isn't
needed on 10.5, I imagine.

> > cd ../fonts
> > install -m 444 * ${distdir}/share/ghostscript/fonts
>
> Does PIL usually come with these fonts? how critical is this?

If you're going to use Ghostscript render Postscript with PIL, it's critical.

> Again, tiff isn't listed as a PIL dependency .

I don't remember why I included this (probably for Ghostscript or PDF
rendering), but it may not be a dependency.

> I sure wish Apple would provide a bit more of this stuff -- I now have
> libjpeg, libpng, and libtiff in a half a dozen different packages -- arrrgg!
>
> > cd ../t1lib-5.*
>
> What's this?

Type 1 font rendering library.

Bill