[Pythonmac-SIG] non-framework Python 2.5.2 has empty lib-dynload

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Apr 24 14:40:49 CEST 2008

Hi.  I'm assuming this is a python-on-mac oddity, but maybe I'm wrong.

I wanted a local non-framework build of Python 2.5.2.  I did the
following in a Python 2.5.2 source download:

./configure --prefix=/Users/gary/opt/py25 LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib
OPT=-I/opt/local/include
make
make install

(The LDFLAGS and OPT are there to get readline and zlib from Darwin
Ports in the Python.)

I got some warnings about expat, but nothing serious during configure
and make.

But oddly, /Users/gary/opt/py25/library/python2.5/lib-dynload was
completely empty.  So, for instance, I couldn't do basic things like
``import math``.

I then did make test.  A few unrelated things failed--expat related,
for instance--but most tests passed, including math tests.  In fact,
the .so files were in the build directory.

I then did the following:

ln build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/*.so ~/opt/py25/lib/python2.5/lib-
dynload/

Now everything seems to work. :-D :-/

Anybody know if I did something wrong?  Or is this a bug in the Python
2.5 build?  I couldn't find a similar report with Google, but maybe I
wasn't looking in the right metaphorical corner.

Gary