[Pythonmac-SIG] non-framework Python 2.5.2 has empty lib-dynload

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 18:47:09 CEST 2008

    Gary> ./configure --prefix=/Users/gary/opt/py25 LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib
    Gary> OPT=-I/opt/local/include
    Gary> make
    Gary> make install

    Gary> (The LDFLAGS and OPT are there to get readline and zlib from Darwin
    Gary> Ports in the Python.)

    Gary> I got some warnings about expat, but nothing serious during configure
    Gary> and make.

    Gary> But oddly, /Users/gary/opt/py25/library/python2.5/lib-dynload was
    Gary> completely empty.  So, for instance, I couldn't do basic things
    Gary> like ``import math``.

Works for me.  I build a number of different versions on my Mac quite
frequently.  Just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, I svn up'd my 2.5
branch, then reran

    configure
    make clean
    make -j2
    make altinstall

and then checked the lib-dynload timestamps.  They looked fine.

You can try running

    make -n altinstall

and looking at the end of the output.  You should see something like this:

    for i in X ; do \
          if test $i != X; then \
            echo /usr/bin/install -c -m 555 $i /Users/skip/local/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/`basename $i`; \
            /usr/bin/install -c -m 555 $i /Users/skip/local/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/`basename $i`; \
          fi; \
        done

That install command is what populates your lib-dynloads directory.

Skip