[Pythonmac-SIG] Dependencies for Python packages on OS-X

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 24 21:33:58 CEST 2008

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> This rambling was probably unnecessary, but the upshot is don't expect
> Apple to add other image libraries to the system or X11.  We're on our own.

OK. So I see it this way:

For the "MacPython" build (2.5.2, runs on OS-X 10.3.9 and above), we need:
    libpng
    libfreetype
    libjpeg
    others?

For Apple's 2.5 build that comes with leopard, we need:
    libjpeg
    (freetype and png can come from X11)

Is that right? Or should we just use our own for Apple's build too?

William, what do you think of my idea of trying to get distributors to
standardize on your Frameworks?

I haven't gotten any feedback yet, but I now some folks would rather not
have any dependencies, even if they are easy to install. However, it
really is a big 'ol pain in the *&^& to build universal versions of all
these various libs. Would you consider adding static libs to your
Frameworks so that we could at least tell distributor that they can just
install a couple Frameworks and have all the static libs they need?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov