[Pythonmac-SIG] module 'New' no in MacPython?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 7 18:17:16 CEST 2008

Bill Janssen wrote:
> There is a Python standard library module called "new", and the Mac
> filesystem is case-insensitive...  Try doing
>
>    % touch new
>    % touch New
>    % ls

case-insensitive, yet case-preserving -- weird. apparently the case
preserving does effect *nix apps like python. You can:
import new

but not:

import New

but if it's called "new" on other systems, why was the OP having problems?

Matthew O'Meara wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response, It seems like the issue is due to
> running python in an X11 terminal.  It seems to run fine through
> Terminal.  I don't know if I'll dig into the problem, but that at
> least gives me somewhere to look first.

Are you sure you're running the same python from the X11 terminal as
from Terminal? is your PATH the same? Have you installed fink, macports,
or some other python?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov