[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript -- Getting 1708 Error on count command for word 2008

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Aug 16 23:50:08 CEST 2008

Travis Caldwell wrote:

> Not sure if this is user error or a bug, but I can't seem to send
> the count command to Word 2008 via appscript.

Word's count command requires an 'each' parameter, e.g.:

app('microsoft word').count(each=k.document)

A number of Carbon apps do require an 'each' parameter, e.g. Word,
Finder. The reason you can get away with not specifying one yourself
in AppleScript is that AppleScript quietly munges the reference passed
as the direct parameter to create one. Appscript mimics quite a bit of
AppleScript's behind-the-scenes chicanery for compatibility's sake,
but this isn't one of them. (The 'each' parameter is itself a design
wart; Apple event IPC has a lot of those.) Adding a note about this
particular issue to the FAQ is on the TODO list... along with the rest
of the FAQ. (I'm afraid work's keeping me pretty busy these days, but
fingers crossed it'll happen someday.)

HTH

has
--
Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
http://appscript.sourceforge.net