[Pythonmac-SIG] catching the Cmd+Q event

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Aug 24 10:41:37 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to catch Cmd+Q in a threaded
wx/Tkinter/etc. event loop.

The reason is that ipython ( http://ipython.sourceforge.net/ )
supports several plotting toolkits for interactive data analysis,
however if you habitually hit Cmd+Q to close the window, things get
all screwy. Essentially the event somehow blocks and the thread goes
stale.

Ideally, we'd like to mask (i.e. ignore) it, or somehow map it to the
close window action. Is there any way to do this, at all? (ideally it
wouldn't involve PyObjC, but realistically I think it most likely will).

Thanks,

David