[Pythonmac-SIG] controlling Mail.app and GnuPG

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Fri Aug 29 18:15:51 CEST 2008

Am 2008-08-25 um 23:44 schrieb has:

>> * issue (1) [appscript syntax for Mail.app]:
>> I can list the attachments with appscript, but I didn't find a way
>> to save them or to access them as files.
>
> Something like this should work (assuming the files don't already
> exist in the destination folder):
>
> message = app('Mail').selection()[0]
> for attachment in message.mail_attachments():
> 	attachment.save(in_=mactypes.File(u'/path/to/outfolder/' +
> attachment.name()))

Thank you, that works.
Now I can drop my MIME attachment decoding.

>> Now I've finally the readable text of the message in proper unicode.
>> Let's make a reply mail:
>>
>> reply = message.reply(opening_window=True)
>>
>> I don't understand why usually a message window is invisible, but
>> anyway, that works so far.
>>
>> reply.content.set(decrypted_text)
>>
>> Doesn't work: If I try it in PyCrust, the new text appears above
>> the initial content, can't delete that.
>> In my script I get only a CommandError:
>>
>> CommandError -10000: Apple event handler failed.
>> 	Failed command: app(u'/Applications/
>> Mail.app').outgoing_messages.ID(409455472).content.set(u'bla')
>>
>> Despite that error, when I close Mail.app, a new message containing
>> my text appears, i.e. instead of setting the content of my
>> previously created reply mail, it makes a new outgoing message in
>> the background.
>>
>> * issue (4) [appscript syntax for Mail.app]:
>> How can I set the complete content of a reply message?
>
> Dunno offhand; might have time to look into it tomorrow unless
> anyone else has any ideas. As you say, Mail's scripting interface is
> less than stellar. BTW, you could also try asking on Apple's
> AppleScript-users mailing list; I expect there's a few folk there
> who've had dealings with Mail as well and might be able to shed some
> light on the problem.

I found a blog entry that collects some of Mail.app's bugs, including
this:
http://willwont.blogspot.com/2008/04/applescripting-mailapp.html

I also found a thread on an Apple list, where several guys tried to
get replies working (and didn't) - strangely at one of them's machine
it worked (but even there only after each other restart of Mail.app):
http://lists.apple.com/archives/applescript-users/2007/Jan/threads.html#00085

Remember I got it partly working from PyCrust, but not from my own
script - there's a trick involved anywhere...

Here's another attempt:

reply = message.reply(opening_window=True)
reply.close(saving=k.no) # close useless reply

for m in mailapp.outgoing_messages():
	m.visible.set(True) # make hidden messages visible

I tried "everything", but didn't manage to set any outgoing_message's
content or add a recipient.
I thought the following should work:

  reply.to_recipients.end.make(
  	new=k.recipient,
  		with_properties={
  			'address': message.sender.extract_address_from(),
  			'name': message.sender.extract_name_from()
  		})
  reply.content.set(decrypted)

Now I just copy my content to the clipboard
( osax.ScriptingAddition.set_clipboard_to() ), so I can paste it as
reply.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---