[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of Python 3.0 for Mac?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sun Dec 14 17:36:19 CET 2008

Conan C. Albrecht wrote:
> I was surprised at the lack of a Mac build as well.  I think the reason
> is that there are few libraries available for 3.0 right now.  For
> example, it will be some time before wxPython, the various database
> drivers, and other popular add-ons will be updated to the 3.0 syntax.  I
> installed Py3 for Mac, but there isn't a lot I can do with it yet.  I
> think many are in this camp.
>
> If you want to install it now (like many of us have), here's a good page
> about how to compile it.  It's pretty easy.
>
> http://farmdev.com/thoughts/66/python-3-0-on-mac-os-x-alongside-2-6-2-5-etc-/
>

> I have no idea when the .dmg download will be available.

Not only is there no binary installer for 3.0, there is no binary
installer for 2.6.1. And the previous installer for 2.6.0 had a serious
bug in it:

http://bugs.python.org/issue4017

I'm curious who maintains the Mac builds of Python these days. It's not
hard to build from source, of course, and that's what I do...but the
binary installer is convenient for many people.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin