[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app on UDF DVD

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Dec 15 22:09:35 CET 2008

In article <C56BEF15.15BAB%JKelly at vectorworks.net>,
 James Kelly <JKelly at vectorworks.net> wrote:
> We usually place our py2app created app bundles on DVD using toast's hybrid
> Mac and PC file-system setting.  This works pretty well for us.
> Unfortunately we have a need to place the same app bundle on a UDF DVD.
> While this works great in testing, it seems the
> Bundle.app/Contents/Resources/lib/site.py sym-link that points to
> Bundle.app/Contents/Resources/site.py is broken when burning with toast.
>
> I haven't verified this myself, but I'm told when using an unspecified
> Windows burning tool that the symlink is replaced with the actual file (so
> there is an actual physical site.py in both of those directories.
>
> As I said, this seems to work anyway in testing (in both cases, the case
> where the sym-link is broken and where the file is replicated), but I'd like
> to be a little more informed about what's going on here and how important
> this sym-link is before I allow it to be distributed around.
>
> So my questions are:

This doesn't directly answer your questions but perhaps a way to avoid
any of these issues would be to encapsulate your app bundle in a disk
image and place the disk image file on the DVD instead.   That's a
fairly common way to distribute an OS X application in a
filesystem-agnostic manner.  The disk image file may even be smaller
than the app bundle.

   hdiutil create -srcfolder  /path/to/your_app.app your_app-.dmg

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org