[Pythonmac-SIG] How to install latest 2.5 in OS X 10.4?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Tue Dec 30 22:46:30 CET 2008

Hmm, I'm not sure why that appeared twice.  But anyway, possibly
answering my own question...

Joe Strout wrote:

> So... if following the directions on python.org isn't going to work, how
> exactly should I get the latest 2.5 framework release of Python
> installed on 10.4?

I poked around via the instructions for 10.5, and found
<http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/>, which leads to a 2.5
installer that claims to work on 10.3.9 and later.  So I'm trying that
now...

Nuts.  This isn't the latest 2.5, either; it appears to be 2.5.0 (from
September 2006).  I know that our app takes advantages of some bug fixes
in later versions of wx, at the very least, and who knows whether it
also needs something fixed in Python itself between 2.5.0 and 2.5.4.

Aha, it looks like if I ignore all the "Mac" links directly off of
python.org, and instead go to the Download page and follow the "Python
2.5.2" link (the latest 2.5 release listed there), and from there jump
to the 2.5.4 page which the download page failed to list, I finally get
to here <http://python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/>, which links to a
Universal installer for 2.5.4.  I'll try that next.

Best,
- Joe