[Pythonmac-SIG] How to install latest 2.5 in OS X 10.4?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 31 18:33:57 CET 2008

Joe Strout wrote:
>> So... if following the directions on python.org isn't going to work,

I guess those instructions are old -- we really need to update them!

> I poked around via the instructions for 10.5, and found
> <http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/>,

That site is no longer maintained. Partly because python.org and many
package maintainers are simply releasing their own builds, and partly
because Bob I. seems to be doing other things.

Personally, I still think there is a need for a site like that -- OS-X
is still a strange beast that is not as widely used as the other
platforms. I'd contribute to it but I'm not in a position to host it, or
have the time to be the core maintainer. Oh well.

 > go to the Download page and follow the "Python
> 2.5.2" link (the latest 2.5 release listed there), and from there jump
> to the 2.5.4 page which the download page failed to list, I finally get
> to here <http://python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/>, which links to a
> Universal installer for 2.5.4.  I'll try that next.

yup -- that's what you want. Sometimes it's easier than you expect!

Does anyone here have permissions to edit the python.org site?

1) It would be nice for the "quick links" in the left to point to a OS-X
download too.

2) This page: http://www.python.org/download/mac/ needs updating. Joe,
was that where you got your out-of-date info?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov