[Pythonmac-SIG] Key Bindings on cross platform apps.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Feb 2 01:20:54 CET 2008

Robin Dunn wrote:
> Christopher Barker wrote:
>> On the Mac, the default behavior should be for "command" to do
>> everything that "control" does on Windows and Linux, and "control"
>> should do nothing. The alt(option) key should do the same thing as alt
>> on the other platforms.
>>
>> This seems like it makes for the best compatibility. Is this a standard
>> and good way to do it?
>
> A lot of this can be automated in wxPython by following some basic
> rules.

Thanks Robin, I knew some of that, mostly because a remarkable number of
apps do "just work". However:

- I wanted to confirm that I had the right goal -- it's obviously the
way to do it to me, but I might have missed some Mac convention I don't
know about.

- Peppy is doing some weird things with key bindings, in order to allow
people to totally customize them, and to allow emacs-style multi-stroke
bindings -- Ctrl-X Ctrl-O for "file open", for instance. It's now mostly
working, but not quite, so as I set out to debug, I want to make sure
I've got the goals right!

Thanks,
  -Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov