[Pythonmac-SIG] Key Bindings on cross platform apps.

Tom Pollard tomp at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 20:52:43 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 2:26 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
> I've found that most apps these days follow the same convention for
> the really
> standard stuff -- cut/copy/paste, save, except that the Mac uses
> "command" where Windows and Linux (which is to say KDE, GNOME, and
> Mozilla) use "control" -- why apple ever even added a control key,
> rather than making command==control, I'll never know. But there you
> go.

My recollection is that the control key has been around since the
stone ages (ASR-33 teletypes, at least) and that many of the standard
control-key combinations (ctl-C, for one) had their well-defined
meanings long before the Mac was introduced.  For Apple to introduce a
command key rather than saying ctl-c no longer meant 'interrupt' but
now 'copy' makes sense.  That MS (or IBM, or whoever) decided to start
using ctl-key combinations to mirror Apple's cmd-key combinations
seems like the more egregious offense.  (If I'm misremembering the
history, please correct me.)

Tom