[Pythonmac-SIG] Guages, Sliders, Graphs and py2app

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 5 07:10:55 CET 2008

Kenneth miller wrote:
> I like Tk, it's simple, but it's too simple for what I
> want to do. I'd like to be able to display data using widgets like a
> thermometer, guages (like in your car), orthogonal graphs, polar graphs,
> etc. Is there a python GUI framework available with these types of
> widgets that's easy to distribute along with an App built with py2app?

wxPython is a pretty good bet. It's got a lot more high level widgets
than Tk --you'll be very happy, unless you depend a lot on the tk Text
or Canvas widgets -- there are good wx alternatives for most uses of
these, but nothing quite so easy and comprehensive.

Andrea Gavana Has written a bunch of widgets that might suite you:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/freeware.html

For instance:
http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/freeware.html#speedmeter

I've seen a set of gages and what not widgets for QT too-  ut can't find
them with a quick google.

As for graphs, Matplotlib is a good bet -- it works with wx, gtk, qt and tk.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax