[Pythonmac-SIG] Guages, Sliders, Graphs and py2app

DavidW vip at avatar.com.au
Tue Feb 5 07:54:39 CET 2008

Hi Kenneth,
I can confirm Chris' pointers to wxPython (google for an excellent
book on the topic)
and there's a useful development framework which I use:
wxglade.sourceforge.net/

I also use matplotlib with wxPython - just be careful to get the right
version -

I've never py2app'ed any of it though.

ciao,
David

On 05/02/2008, at 5:10 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Kenneth miller wrote:
>> I like Tk, it's simple, but it's too simple for what I
>> want to do. I'd like to be able to display data using widgets like a
>> thermometer, guages (like in your car), orthogonal graphs, polar
>> graphs,
>> etc. Is there a python GUI framework available with these types of
>> widgets that's easy to distribute along with an App built with
>> py2app?
>
> wxPython is a pretty good bet. It's got a lot more high level widgets
> than Tk --you'll be very happy, unless you depend a lot on the tk Text
> or Canvas widgets -- there are good wx alternatives for most uses of
> these, but nothing quite so easy and comprehensive.
>
> Andrea Gavana Has written a bunch of widgets that might suite you:
>
> http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/freeware.html
>
> For instance:
> http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/freeware.html#speedmeter
>

> I've seen a set of gages and what not widgets for QT too-  ut can't
> find
> them with a quick google.
>
> As for graphs, Matplotlib is a good bet -- it works with wx, gtk, qt
> and tk.
>
> -Chris

David Worrall
- Experimental Polymedia:	www.avatar.com.au
- Education for Financial Independence: www.mindthemarkets.com.au
Australian research affiliations:
- Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre: www.cmcrc.com
- Sonic Communications Research Group:	creative.canberra.edu.au/scrg