[Pythonmac-SIG] Using py2app on 10.5 to build apps that run on 10.4?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Feb 6 22:02:13 CET 2008

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> I'd love to upgrade to Leopard, but I maintain a python application that
> needs to run on 10.4 (and preferably 10.3.9).
>
> So...is it now practical to build 10.4-compatible applications using
> py2app on a 10.5 computer? What is involved? (For instance I remember
> reading that the built-in python needed some fixes for distutils to be
> able to make fat binaries, but I have no idea what the fixes are or how
> to install them).
>
> Does it help (or hurt?) if I use a 3rd party installation of Python,
> instead of the built in python?
>
> -- Russell

As long as all the binary bits in your app bundle are compatible with
10.4, then you should be fine.

I develop and build Phynchronicity
(http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity.html) on 10.5, and it runs
with no problem on 10.4. I build everything using the
"-mmacosx-version-min=10.4." This is using a custom build of Python
2.5.1 that links to Tk 8.5, my own build of Tk 8.5, and various Tk
extensions.

I can't speak for 10.3.9.

--
Kevin Walzer