[Pythonmac-SIG] Having trouble building Python w/ Tcl/Tk on my new Macbook Pro

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 10 03:33:46 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008, at 8:21 PM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

> There are a number of frameworks there which look suspiciously old.
> How can
> I tell which are PPC and which are Intel?

file(1) is probably easiest.  You'll need to run them on the actual
dylib inside the framework.  For example:

% file /Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/QtGui
/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/QtGui: Mach-O universal binary
with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/QtGui (for architecture ppc):	Mach-
O dynamically linked shared library ppc
/Library/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/QtGui (for architecture i386):
Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

otool -fv works too but is considerably more verbose.

> Is it okay to just remove the Tcl
> & Tk frameworks?  (Renaming them caused the link to succeed.)  I
> noticed
> much more recent versions in /System/Library/Frameworks.

Unless you've got something else that relies on them, I don't see why
not.  You should be able to nuke anything in /Library in general; it's
supposed to be user-serviceable (or at least administrator-serviceable).

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>