[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating binary packages on OSX

Matthias Baas matthias.baas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:17:23 CET 2008

Hi,

I have a question about distributing binary package on OSX (I'm still
rather new to OSX but now that I have a Mac I'd like to provide an OSX
binary of an Open Source package of mine).
I was using the bdist_mpkg distutils extension to create a binary and
could turn that into a *.dmg. Testing this installer on my own machine
works fine. So generating the binary is no problem at all (thanks to all
who contributed to this distutils extension! Great work! I hope this
will make it into the official Python build eventually)
My question is rather about the requirements of the generated installer,
i.e. who can use it to install the package? Does the installer only work
with MacPython or will it work with any version of Python (provided that
the version number matches, of course)? Does the installer just copy the
files into a predefined directory that must be the same on all machines
or is it like the Windows installer and it figures out itself where
Python is installed and puts the files into the correct location?
I'm creating the binary on Tiger. Will the binary work on Leopard as
well or does this require a recompile?

Is there anything else that needs to be considered to get a "true" OSX
binary package? (I made sure everything was compiled as a universal
binary, but that's about it)

I'm grateful for any infos on how to properly create a binary package on
OSX.

Cheers,

- Matthias -