[Pythonmac-SIG] Using py2app on 10.5 to build apps that run on 10.4?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Sat Feb 23 00:23:03 CET 2008

In article <47AA2055.5070007 at codebykevin.com>,
 Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> Russell E. Owen wrote:
> > I'd love to upgrade to Leopard, but I maintain a python application that
> > needs to run on 10.4 (and preferably 10.3.9).
> >
> > So...is it now practical to build 10.4-compatible applications using
> > py2app on a 10.5 computer? What is involved? (For instance I remember
> > reading that the built-in python needed some fixes for distutils to be
> > able to make fat binaries, but I have no idea what the fixes are or how
> > to install them).
> >
> > Does it help (or hurt?) if I use a 3rd party installation of Python,
> > instead of the built in python?
> >
> > -- Russell
> >

> As long as all the binary bits in your app bundle are compatible with
> 10.4, then you should be fine.
>
> I develop and build Phynchronicity
> (http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity.html) on 10.5, and it runs
> with no problem on 10.4. I build everything using the
> "-mmacosx-version-min=10.4." This is using a custom build of Python
> 2.5.1 that links to Tk 8.5, my own build of Tk 8.5, and various Tk
> extensions.
>
> I can't speak for 10.3.9.

Thank you very much.

So if I understand this right...as long as I install a python that was
built with the -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 flag then distutils will
automatically build python packages using the same flag. (Of course I
can also install 10.4-compatible package binaries, but I'm hoping to
upgrade to Tcl/Tk 8.5 and I doubt I'll find binaries for that.)

If so...does it suffice to use the Mac Python binaries that were built
to be compatible with 10.4 or must I compile my own python and
explicitly add use that flag?

-- Russell