[Pythonmac-SIG] Python module installation on Leopard runs but doesn't install

Robert Anderson robcander at mac.com
Wed Feb 27 19:51:09 CET 2008

I am a new user to Python on  Mac (Leopard) and am having a problem
installing modules. I have seen various mails about directory problems
with Python Leopard and I am not sure if they relate to my particular
problem.

I am running a factory installation of Leopard and command line Python
appears to run OK. However, when I attempted to install a downloaded
package, PYTZ for example, the installation failed with a message "...
requires System Python to install...".

  From the Python website I found the following link concerned with
installing additional items, in particular IDLE:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/Leopard

   I followed the instructions and command line Python still works,
IDLE works and the installations now appear to work, however, nothing
appears to have been installed and the downloaded(?) modules cannot be
imported.

Can anyone provide any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks in advance

Robert Anderson