[Pythonmac-SIG] Python module installation on Leopard runs but doesn't install

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Feb 27 21:57:42 CET 2008

Weird. I thought the binaries at pythonmac.org
<http://pythonmac.org/packages/> would install fine in either system
python or add-on MacPython as long they were built for the right major
version of Python (2.5 for Leopard).

Maybe I'm wrong. If so...you could always install MacPython and then
things should "just work". I realize that's not the current
recommendation for Leopard (for one thing the built in Python does have
at least one useful feature not found in MacPython) but it does have
some advantages.

For one thing if you distribute a bundled Python application built with
py2app (and that uses 3rd party compiled packages) then using your own
MacPython may be necessary to make an application that can be used on
1.4 and 1.3.9. If I understand correctly py2app only includes python in
the application bundle if you were using MacPython (as opposed to the
built-in python) and you'll want python included if you distribute
extensions so they can run with the right python.

-- Russell