[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:58:39 CET 2008

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 3 Jan, 2008, at 15:18, Andrew Jaffe wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this is the correct thread/place for this, but is
>> there any official "best practice" for Python under Leopard?
>>
>> I.E., should we still be using the MacPython framework build (since I
>> assume that is more likely to track current python versions than the
>> Apple build). Is this on the main python or macpython websites somewhere?
>
> At the moment Apple's build is a slightly patched [*] version of the
> current stable release of Python (that is 2.5.1), but with some small
> issues. AFAIK all issues are related to distutils and are easy to fix.
> My precious message was a call-to-arms to get a small package out that
> fixes the issues with Apple's build, which would result in a fully
> up-to-date python installation including all goodies that Apple ships
> (PyObjC, wxWidgets, Twisted-Core, ...) and without downloading several
> huge archives.

Thanks!

So will this be the the right thing to do in general? Will it possible
to add/replace more up-to-date packages when they come out (E.G., numpy
or even Python 2.6 if it predates the next OSX)? Or will the bleeding
edge always require an external framework build? For such a build, how
hard is it to add in the "goodies"? (I've got easy_install working for
my framework build, for example and usually use that right now.)

Andrew