[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie Mac switcher trying to set up django on Intel MacBook Pro Tiger

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Jan 3 17:03:40 CET 2008

On 3 jan 2008, at 14:22, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> Now that there are several people that want to support Apple's build
> of python: how do we go forward from here?
>
> I think we should start a small project for "MacPython Addons", this
> project will install:
>
> * Hotfix for distutils to ensure that distutils builds univeral
> binaries (32-bit only at first)
> * (possibly) hotfix to ensure that you can install '-fat-' eggs on
> 10.5
> * /Applications/Python-2.5/IDLE.app

I think that for "true" end users Idle is the only serious omission.
The first one is really for developers only, and the second one
doesn't really become important until such fat eggs become widely
available (which they are not right now, IIRC).

Hmm, idea to keep this manageable: how much work would it be to create
tiny installers for each of these hotfixes, and then have a umbrella
installer that encompasses all of these? That way, as new problems
surface the only work would be to create a hotfix installer for that
single problem and do a tiny update to the umbrella installer.
Goldman