[Pythonmac-SIG] How can I make Leo play with Tiger?

Felicia Betancourt fmbetancourt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 22:05:12 CET 2008

I just downloaded the latest version of the Literate Editor with Outlines
(Leo), which is Python-based.  To my horror, the installation notes say that
"Leo works reliably only on MacOS X 10.3 (Panther)"!  I'm having a hard time
accepting this, since my machine (a PowerPC iBook) runs on 10.4.11.
Does anyone know if there is a work-around that will force Leo to play
nicely with Tiger?  A possible hint is that the installation notes would
have me install "MacPython 2.3 for Panther add-ons" and TclTkAqua first
before actually installing Leo.

Effusive thanks to anyone who has any ideas...

appendix: in case it's helpful, here's the full text of the Leo installation
notes for the Mac:

Installing leo.py on MacOs
--------------------------

Leo works reliably only on MacOS X 10.3 (Panther).

To run Leo on Macintosh OS X 10.3:

1) Download and install "MacPython 2.3 for Panther addons".

Python is already included in OS X 10.3 so only the addons are necessary

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html

2) Download and install TclTkAqua.

http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

3) Run the PackageManager found in /Applications/MacPython-2.3 and
install "_tkinter-2.3-binary" by clicking on the package in the list
and clicking the [Install:] button with "Install dependencies" checked

4)  Install Leo.  There are two ways to do this.

a)  The NEW way: Download Leo-version-number.pkg from

    http://leo.sourceforge.net/

Double-click Leo.pkg to install the Leo folder. I recommend that you install
Leo
in your home directory.

b) The OLD way: Download Leo-version-number.zip:

http://leo.sourceforge.net/

Unzip the contents into the desired directory by double-clicking the
downloaded file.

5) Run Leo by ontrol-clicking on /path_to_unzipped_dir/leo/src/leo.py and
open
with PythonLauncher.

6) It is a good idea to set PythonLauncher as the default program to
open python scripts by clicking on "leo.py", choosing Get Info from the
Finder's File menu, and selecting "PythonLauncher" as the default
program to "Open With:"

By clicking the "Change All..." button, all python scripts will be
opened with PythonLauncher.

8) (optional) Download and install Pmw. (Leo now contains Pmw in the
extensions folder).

    http://pmw.sourceforge.net/

Pmw must be installed in order to use the Settings panel.

Drag the downloaded gzip file into

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages

Double click on it to unzip and untar the file into a folder to make it
available to Python

Thanks to Randall Voth for these instructions.
Using shell scripts and batch files to make using Leo easier