[Pythonmac-SIG] Pystone numbers for different Macs...

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 19:23:02 CET 2008

I ran the test  on my 1st Gen Quad Core ( 2 x Quad-core 3.0 GHz, 13GB
RAM) and was a bit surprised to see  little improvement over the Core
Duo numbers.

63019.7 pystones/second

I am assuming the GIL is limiting  threading and therefore I am really
running on one or two cores--hence the tangible improvement is just
CPU speed: from 2.33 GHz to 3.0 GHz and a bit of the memory bandwidth
increase as well.

This is the 32-bit number, I'll find some time to try 64-bit--but
first want to make sure it doesn't mess up my system as I am using
Apple Python 2.5.1 exclusively right now and want to avoid the split
brain problem.

Daniel