[Pythonmac-SIG] [py2app] how to make a .app running on mac intel 10.5

El Duvelle elescargot at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:23:43 CEST 2008

First, thanks for the answer!
A question : my version of py2app is 0.3.6. Is that the latest ?

> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:03:41 -0700
> From: Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
> CC: pythonmac-sig at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] [py2app] how to make a .app running on mac intel 10.5
>
> Wow! lot's of py2app questions lately!
>
> I'll do my best, but I'm not expert. Unfortunately, the real expert is
> Bob Ippolito, whom I have not seen on this list in a good while, and
> Ronald Oussoren has been very helpful, but I haven't seen him for a bit
> either (not as long, though).
>
> Anyway, here's my little bit of help:
>
> El Duvelle wrote:
>
> > It does works, but the problem is that the launching of my .app on the
> > mac with Intel is veeery slow compared to launching on the mac with a
> > ppc. And I guess it is so because the computer has to convert the .app
> > or something like that...
>
> nope -- py2app should have built a true Universal package -- it should
> launch the same way on Intel and PPC systems. Is there any other
> difference that might mater between the two? (disk speed, networked
> drives, ...)

Well, the most recent and powerful mac is the one with Intel and it's on this mac that my application is very slow.

> It's possible that you got a PPC build, and it's running under Rosetta
> (or whatever they call the PPC emulation) on your Intel box -- does it
> run slow too, or just launch slow?

Yes, it is running under Rosetta. My program isn't a big one, but what is sure is that it launches very slowly. Concerning the running speed, I see no real difference.

> You might try running "file" on the executable in the bundle. It's
> inside the .app bundle, in the MacOS dir. This is what I get in one
> example of mine:
>
> ... Converter.app/Contents/MacOS cbarker$ file Converter
>
> Converter: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
> Converter (for architecture i386):      Mach-O executable i386
> Converter (for architecture ppc):       Mach-O executable ppc

well, I don't find this file. I can't even go into MyApp.app on the mac. On windows that's possible but in MacOS I just have two files : python and MyApp;

> Are you building on the PPC machine?

Yes I am! And in my 'built' folder, I've got a 'bdist.macosx-10.3-ppc' folder, that's what makes me guess that it's not a universal built.