[Pythonmac-SIG] [py2app] how to make a .app running on mac intel 10.5

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 1 23:39:54 CEST 2008

El Duvelle wrote:
> A question : my version of py2app is 0.3.6. Is that the latest ?

yes, thought there may be something newer in SVN -- Ronald?

>  > You might try running "file" on the executable in the bundle. It's
>  > inside the .app bundle, in the MacOS dir. This is what I get in one
>  > example of mine:
>  >
>  > ... Converter.app/Contents/MacOS cbarker$ file Converter
>  >
>  > Converter: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
>  > Converter (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
>  > Converter (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
>
> well, I don't find this file. I can't even go into MyApp.app on the mac.

you can get there with the command line, or by right clicking and
selecting "Show Package Contents"

> Yes I am! And in my 'built' folder, I've got a 'bdist.macosx-10.3-ppc'
> folder, that's what makes me guess that it's not a universal built.

well, I think that's all I get too -- because you are building on ppc,
but the enclosed binaries should be universal.

I suspect you are running pyapp with a PPC-only python. Are you sure
you're using the Universal build?

type:
$ which python

to see what gets run when you type python. Then see what it there. I get:

$ which python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

then:

$ file
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python:

symbolic link to `python2.5'

so I try:

$ file
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python2.5

and I get:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python2.5:
Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python2.5 (for
architecture i386):    Mach-O executable i386
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python2.5 (for
architecture ppc):     Mach-O executable ppc

indicating that I'm running a Universal python.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov