[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit Python?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Jul 1 16:29:16 CEST 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Boyd Waters wrote:

> On May 29, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Frank Schima wrote:
>
>> I have the latest Mac Pro with 10.5.3. I ran the sys.maxint test
>> and got the 32-bit result. I tried both the Apple python and the
>> MacPorts python 2.5.2.
>

> The MacPorts 2.5.2 doesn't have my 64-bit hacks in it. I'm not sure
> what the consequences of 64-bit Python will be with respect to other
> Python packages, so I haven't committed the changes. And I ran into
> a problem compiling this on Tiger with GNU (non-Apple-patched) GCC
> 4.2.1.
>
> But it's really 64-bit Python here, I think:
>
> $ /usr/bin/python -c 'import sys; print sys.maxint'
> 2147483647
>
> $ /opt/casa/core2-apple-darwin9/3rd-party/bin/python -c 'import sys;
> print sys.maxint'
> 9223372036854775807
>

> Here's the MacPorts port:
>
> <python25.tbz>
>

> You might unpack this thing into your MacPorts tree like this:
>
> tar xjvf ~/Downloads/python25.tbz -C $(port dir python25)/..
>
> and then do a port update python25
>
> ... but I haven't tested that path.
>
> I can post a binary on a web site if anyone is interested in testing
> this; it's a quad-architecture Framework build.
>
> Be careful out there...

How would a quad-architecture build work with other C/C++ modules?

Having a 64-bit itself would be nice, but that would require all
Python modules also be compiled in 64-bit, such as Qt, Subversion,
anything that is a C/C++ package on its own that has a Python module.
So I think the ramifications of going to a pure 64-bit Python would be
large and would have to be decided by MacPorts group as a whole if we
want to move in that direction.

Regards,
Blair

--