[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app creates 90 MB .app

Markus honeym00n at gmx.net
Sun Jul 13 22:54:23 CEST 2008

Hi,

My application depends on Python and wxPython. I am creating a .app-
file with py2app under Leopard. Python 2.5.2 and wxPython 2.8.8.0.

The file size of the app is 90 MB for "python setup.py py2app":
Frameworks/libwx_macud-2.8.0.dylib is 21 MB
Frameworks/Python.framework is 5 MB
Resources/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/wx is 61 MB

If I remember correctly that the file size used to be around 15-30 MB
when I used the prepackaged Python, wxPython and py2app. Which would
match the size with the listed frameworks but without the wx folder
within "Resources". Seems to me like it is packaged twice.

The file size of the app is 75 MB for "python setup.py py2app -s":
Frameworks/libwx_macud-2.8.0.dylib is 21 MB
Frameworks/Python.framework is NOT present
Resources/lib/python2.5/ is 53 MB

Excluding wx with "python setup.py py2app -e wx" results in a file 15
MB in size (which does not work).

When I use py2exe the resulting file is 10 MB in size.

I found a similar discussion but was not able to extract any solution:
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/pipermail/wxpython-users/2007-March/062320.html

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Markus