[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app & PIL

Mariano Di Felice mariano.difelice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:18:02 CEST 2008

Hi,
    I have a simple app called test.py as follow:

    import Image
    import traceback

    try:
        print "IMAGE: %s" % Image
        print "DIR: %s" % dir(Image)
        pil = Image.new("RGB", (300,300))
        pil.save("test.jpg")
    except:
        traceback.print_exc()

and I've created a setup.py for py2app creation app:

import os
from setuptools import setup

packageroot = "/Users/rikorda/Desktop/test"
APP = ['test.py']
DATA_FILES = []

packages = []
includes = []

py2app_options = dict(
    site_packages=True,
    includes=includes,
    packages=packages,
    optimize=1,
    compressed=True,
)
setup(
    app=APP,
    options=dict(
        py2app=py2app_options,
    ),
    setup_requires=['py2app'],
)

well, compilation and app creation works fine, but when I run the app, I
have this error:

    ImportError: The imaging C module is not installed (during execution
    of Image.new )

I've tried to include package PIL, adding it to packages viriable:

packages = ['PIL']

but I obtain:

    No module named Image

I compile this app in my minimac with Lepard 10.5.4 OS, and I use
python2.5 and PIL 1.1.6 compiled from source ( because I need an
UniversalBinary app, then I've downloaded freetype2.3.5 and jpeg6b
source and I've compiled it with CFLAG -arch ppc -arch i386 ).
This problem is revelead when I run my app in another Mac ( where
there's no library installed ).

I've tried install ready dmg PIL from here (
http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-fat/dmg/PIL-1.1.6-py2.5-macosx10.4-2007-05-18.dmg
), but I obtain a strange error FT_Load_Glyph....

Please help me, I have no more ideas about....

thx