[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app, svn 1.5 and macholib

David A Krauth python at dakrauth.com
Mon Jul 14 21:58:33 CEST 2008

Upon a recent upgrade to Leopard, I was having significant
difficulties in producing a .app from py2app (wxPython-based), where I
had had no trouble previously.

In the interim, I had upgraded from Tiger, and from the default Apple
build of 2.5.1 to MacPython 2.5.2.

One of my stumbling blocks was when I received the following error:

     global name 'log' is not define

in setuputils/command/sdist.py:98 (setuptools-0.6c8-py2.5.egg), in
function entries_finder:

         log.warn("unrecognized .svn/entries format in %s", dirname)

It appears that:

a) logging hasn't been properly imported
b) that due to the recent changes in Subversion 1.5 metadata schema,
the "entries_find" can no longer yield a correct result

I'm really not sure who I should report this to or where to submit the
bug.

Instead, I reverted back to svn client 1.4.4 (which I wanted to do
anyways, since 1.5 also broke on of my favorite TextMate plugins,
SVNMate).

Another stumbling block was an exception I receive from the MachO lib:

     ValueError: Unknown load command: 27

I decided to upgrade py2app and it's dependencies all to trunk
versions to see if I fared any better:

     svn co http://svn.pythonmac.org/macholib/macholib/trunk macho
     cd macho
     easy_install -Z .
     cd ..

     svn co http://svn.pythonmac.org/altgraph/altgraph/trunk/ altgraph
     cd altgraph/
     easy_install -Z .
     cd ..

     svn co http://svn.pythonmac.org/modulegraph/modulegraph/trunk/
modulegraph
     cd modulegraph/
     easy_install -Z .
     cd ..

     svn co http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk py2app
     cd py2app/
     easy_install -Z .
     cd ..

This seemed to hit the sweet stop - my build worked and executed as
desired.

-David

David A. Krauth
http://dakrauth.com