[Pythonmac-SIG] getting beta 2 out the door on Apple systems

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jul 16 18:10:04 CEST 2008


I'd urge everyone interested in newer versions of Python on Apple
hardware to read and help with Barry's message, which I reproduce
liberally below.

A total of about 6 "deferred blockers".

Specifically, there's an OS X issue:

  http://bugs.python.org/issue3226

  ``Mac/Makefile.in uses the arch command which doesn't have the
  ability to run a given architecture in 10.4 like it does in
  10.5. Hence, the install fails.''

Bill

> On Jul 15, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> 
> > If there is anything you need a decision on, please follow up to  
> > this thread.  I'm inundated with email so I can't watch every thread  
> > on the mailing lists.  Or ping me on #python-dev.
> 
> I'm not currently optimistic that we can release today.
> 
> As I see it we have several problems serious enough to delay a  
> release.  First, we have no green 2.6 or 3.0 buildbots
> 
> http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/stable/
> 
> It looks like few of the buildbots for 2.6 are actually online, but  
> still, the 3.0 buildbots are all failing.
> 
> We still have, and have had for a long time now, serious problems with  
> the multiprocessing module:
> 
> http://bugs.python.org/issue?@columns=title,id,activity,versions,status&@sort=activity&@filter=priority,status&@pagesize=50&@startwith=0&priority=1&status=1&@dispname=Showstoppers
> 
> I noticed today that _multiprocessing.so has build problems on OS X  
> 10.5 and Ubuntu 8.04.  I opened a separate issue about that so as not  
> to get lost in the other bug about test_multiprocessing hanging.  As  
> evidenced by the thread for issue 3088, lots of people have put a lot  
> of work into this module, but unfortunately we're still not there.   
> These seem serious enough to me to hold up the release, especially  
> since we have only one more beta left.
> 
> Speaking of which, we have a number of deferred blockers:
> 
> http://bugs.python.org/issue?@columns=title,id,activity,status&@sort=activity&@group=priority&@filter=priority,status&@pagesize=50&@startwith=0&priority=6&status=1&@dispname=Deferred%20Blockers
> 
> These will not block beta 2, but they /will/ block beta 3, so they  
> really need some attention.
> 
> Please everyone, if you have only a little bit of time to work on  
> Python, I hope you will attack the release critical and deferred  
> blocker issues, and work on turning the buildbots green.  These are  
> the top priorities in order to get 2.6 and 3.0 out on time.  And just  
> as added incentive, our October 1st goal is being noted by downstream  
> vendors.  I've been told that "Apple is willing to take the new Python  
> if it is GM on schedule by Oct 1st, but may not if it is delayed"  
> though you should not infer anything about Apple's schedule from this.
> 
> Still, we won't sacrifice quality in order to hit the October 1st  
> goal.  After beta 2, I start getting mean. :)
> 


More information about the Pythonmac-SIG mailing list