[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac IDLE Fonts? (-or- I guess I need glasses.)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 18 01:32:25 CEST 2008

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> Another option is to use a normal text editor* You lose some
> interactivity but the powerful editing features may compensate by
> increasing productivity in other ways.

Absolutely -- a good editor is worth a lot! Besides, most of us edit a
bunch of other kinds of text files, so getting to know a good editor is
very useful.

> - TextWrangler: free, mature, robust, but clumsy find/replace

It's Python mode isn't great either -- Barebones simply doesn't want to
believe that indenting is a key feature! That being said, I use it a
lot, it's really pretty nice and full featured.

> I personally use Pepper, but it's no longer supported.

I know. bummer. It had such promise.

> I'm still looking  for a modern replacement that I like as well.

Check out Peppy:

http://peppy.flipturn.org/

It's not totally mature yet, but it's under active development:

http://groups.google.com/group/peppy-dev?hl=en

and definitely headed in the right direction.

It'd be great to get some more Mac users on board...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov