[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter apps hang upon quitting

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jul 23 00:24:37 CEST 2008

Leonardo Santagada wrote:

> Someone should do a table with the best version of tk for each version
> of python... Tk 8.5 works with the python that comes with leopard?

No.

The problem here is that Tk and Python don't move in sync. At the time
of Python 2.5's release, the main line of Tk development was still
8.4.x, so the binary distributions of Python link against Tk 8.4.x.

Tk 8.5 was released last December, and is a big improvement over Tk 8.4.
However, Python's binary distributions (for Mac and Windows, anyway)
still link against Tk 8.4.x.

There's nothing to prevent you from doing your own build of Python with
Tk 8.5. That's what I've done. However, upping the "default version" of
Tk is actually a pretty big deal in the Python world, and likely won't
be done officially until Python 2.6.

As the maintainer of Python-Mac, perhaps Ronald can chime in here.
Ronald, what's your take on this? Any idea when the binary distro of
MacPython will look for Tk 8.5 by default?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin