[Pythonmac-SIG] New to Python - how to get Py2App to work?

Nehemiah Dacres vivacarlie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 05:00:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Chris Mills <cdm at lizardlounge.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am new to Python, have never developed tools with C++ (I have extensive
> MEL scripting experience with Autodesk's Maya), and am faced with needing to
> develop tools to deploy into a Mac OSX 10.5 environment.
>
> I've downloaded and installed py2app with ez-install and now am faced with
> getting it to work.
>
> I have a simple python script which runs from inside the IDE and does what
> it is supposed to do, but I can not figure out how to get py2app to work.
> I've seen a number of setup.py references about, but what I would really
> like is a step by step procedure for getting a simple "hello world" app to
> be built so that I can have some contextual reference and from there I can
> probably iterate my way to a successful solution.
>
> Is there a basic guide out there? The docs on:
> http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html
> do not make sense to me.
>
> Thanking you in advance for your patience and guidance.
>
> Kind regards,
> Chris Mills
>
> Lizard Lounge Graphics, LTD.
> Wellington, NZ
> http://lizardlounge.com
>
> Int'l:  +644-977-5400 / +642-174-8770
> NZ local: 04-977-5400 /   021-748-770
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

I personally have never used py2app but if I wanted to develope a non GUI
app I would simply investigate distutils. for a gui app I would simply use
platypus <http://www.sveinbjorn.org/platypus> and include what ever
libraries I needed for the gui (unless it was the system's Tkinter)

--

"lalalalala! it's not broken because I can use it"

http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=194281&threshold=1&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=15927703