[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit Python?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 07:50:39 CEST 2008

On 2 Jun, 2008, at 1:32, Boyd Waters wrote:

> Interesting! Cool!
>
> I should look at the header file in the System Python...
>
> I had to patch the Python.h in the standard Python distribution to
> have
> the "ifdef 64-bit" conditional code, so that the single header file
> works
> with both 32- and 64-bit.
>
> NOTE that the patches I used in the modified MacPorts came from Apple:
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.2/python-30.1.2/

I'll probably commit a patch that enables 4-way universal builds for
Python 2.6 on Leopard later this week.  That patch is more involved
than just patching a header file, I've also enabled building most of
the Carbon bindings in 64-bit mode (by disabling everything that isn't
supported in 64-bit mode).

The patch should be complete by now, I just have to do some more
testing before I commit.

Ronald