[Pythonmac-SIG] 64-bit Python?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 09:33:06 CEST 2008

On Wednesday, June 04, 2008, at 08:23AM, "Boyd Waters" <bwaters at nrao.edu> wrote:

>On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:50 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>>> I had to patch the Python.h in the standard Python distribution to
>>> have
>>> the "ifdef 64-bit" conditional code, so that the single header file
>>> works
>>> with both 32- and 64-bit.
>>>
>>> NOTE that the patches I used in the modified MacPorts came from
>>> Apple:
>>> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.2/python-30.1.2/
>>
>> I'll probably commit a patch that enables 4-way universal builds for
>> Python 2.6 on Leopard later this week.  That patch is more involved
>> than just patching a header file, I've also enabled building most of
>> the Carbon bindings in 64-bit mode (by disabling everything that
>> isn't supported in 64-bit mode).
>>
>> The patch should be complete by now, I just have to do some more
>> testing before I commit.
>

>Very nice!
>
>Do these patches get pushed upstream to Apple? Who do we rattle over
>there to get this in an Apple OS release?

I won't push them explicitly, but the feature hopefully will get used when Apple upgrades to Python 2.6.  Hopefully I'll run into the Python maintainer at WWDC.

BTW. As a born nitpicker I have to react to your use of the word "upstream" ;-). Apple is downstream from me, that is they are a user of the Python.org code.

Ronald