[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.5.2 vs Shed Skin

Gary Robinson garyrob at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 17:36:09 CEST 2008

I've been having good luck using the Shed Skin python-to-c++ compiler to create fast extension modules.

But since upgrading to python 2.5.2 on my Leopard box using the OS X python binary on the python.org download page, it no longer works. (I get a "SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly" when trying to import a Shed Skin-generated module; however I can still import it into the old python by invoking that environment with /usr/bin/python.)

I've communicated with Shed Skin's author about this, and he hasn't been able to figure what's wrong. (If anyone reading this has any guesses, I'd appreciate that.)

So, I've been thinking about removing python 2.5.2 and going back to 2.5.1 for now. Also, I noticed a posting on the Pyobjc-dev list from Ronald Oussoren on 4/11/08 recommending uninstalling 2.5.2 in order to use PyObjC. While I don't need PyObjC at the moment, this does seem like another strike against 2.5.2 at least for the time being.

I'm not sure how to uninstall 2.5.2. The readme for the installer says:

> The installer puts the applications in "MacPython 2.5"
> in your Applications folder, command-line tools in
> /usr/local/bin and the underlying machinery in
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.

So, I assume that to uninstall it, I get rid of ~/Applications/MacPython 2.5 and /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework. I'm not sure what to do about usr/local/bin though. That directory has the following python-related contents:

pydoc
pydoc2.5
python
python-config
python2.5
python2.5-config

The python entry is a link to Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python. Do I simply delete all these entries? Or are any of them relevant to Apple's original 2.5.1 installation?

Thanks,
Gary

--

Gary Robinson