[Pythonmac-SIG] [Matplotlib-users] What is the recommended way of Installing MPL 0.9.8 on Leopard?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jun 9 22:38:57 CEST 2008

On 9 Jun, 2008, at 13:19, Charlie Moad wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com
> > wrote:
>
> On 9 Jun, 2008, at 12:07, Charlie Moad wrote:
>

>  I think the
> best way to move forward is to just post binaries for each
> architecture and not have a universal build.
>
> Please, Please, Please, NO!
>
> This seems to be the only solution to make "easy_install matplotlib"
> actually work.
>
> No, the better solution is to investigate why a universal binary
> wouldn't work and try to fix that.  Platform-specific eggs make it
> very hard to distribute apps in a user-friendly way.
>
> Ok, so let's probe the distutils list and ask them to add support
> for fat binaries.  You would think they could inspect the CFLAGS or
> library output with the "file" command to see if the build is
> outputting fat binaries.

Why not investigate yourself?  Distutils already supports fat binaries
when building using a python.org build.  The python build that Apple
ships did have some issues and those should be easy to fix, and to be
honest I can't recall if they are already fixed.

Automaticly detecting which architectures are present in a binary
would be harder, distutils determines the platform architecture before
building the extensions and not afterwards.

Ronald